Defying Gravity with The Wicked Witches


Last year February 18, I was able to witness Wicked The Musical staged by the Australian cast at CCP. Since I was a thespian in my high school years and it was my first time to watch a world-renowned musical staged by an international cast, it's not a surprise that I was crying and squealing while watching! I got so hooked to it that as soon as I got home I immediately downloaded the soundtrack. Now, I'll give you a glimpse of it and yes I will try my best to keep it brief as possible!


"Wicked" is a novel by Winnie Holzman, and was later staged as a musical on October 2003. It was based on Gregory Maguire's novel "Wicked: The Life and Times of The Witches of The Wicked Wild West," an alternative telling of the 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz" and the classic 1900 story "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". The story line begins after Dorothy's arrival in Oz and it revolves around the friendship of Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the good, where they struggle on having the same love interest, clashing personalities and  later Elphaba's public fall from grace. Glinda is popular and is easily liked by others. While Elphaba was born with green skin and is usually shunned by many, that even her own father blames her for the death of her mother. The musical begins with Glinda descending from a bubble to tell everyone of Oz about the death of Elphaba and she recalls how she was born. Upon recalling, one of the Ozians asked if her and Elphaba were friends, and she affirms. The rest of the plot was a flashback of the memories these two friends shared and how they ended up becoming the best of friends, until they had to go separate ways.


Elphaba and Glinda are the main leads of the show, wherein the original cast, Elphaba was portrayed by Idina Menzel and Glinda was played by Kirsten Chenoweth. Their most popular number is "Defying Gravity" which was sung by both Elphaba and Glinda and this ended Act I. Not only did the fans of Wicked love it, but even Kurt Hummel and Rachel Berry loved it when they sung it in one of the first episodes of Glee. 


I've watched different musicals yet I enjoy Wicked the most, from its engaging plot to the gratifying musical numbers - I loved it instantly and not to mention the flamboyant backdrops and props! Another great thing about Wicked is that every one of all ages can watch it and will enjoy it. The plot is so clear and simple that while I was watching it in CCP, children of the age 5 were already singing the songs! So to everyone out there who still haven't watched or heard of Wicked, it's time to go search it on the internet and watch it! Because it's absolutely amazing and not to mention, Elphaba and Glinda's love interest Fiyero was so handsome!



0 comments:

Post a Comment